Monday, 10 September 2018

Consumer Advice

This evening Elizabeth Crampton from St Albans Citizens Advice Bureau joined for an update on current issues.

Claiming  compensation if your flight's delayed or cancelled

If you booked a flight that departed from Europe or was with a European airline, you might have rights under EU law if your flight is delayed or cancelled.

For the EU law to apply, you'll need to have departed from the UK, European Union (EU), Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.
If your flight’s delayed for 2 or more hours

Your airline have to give you:
food and drink
access to phone calls and emails
accommodation if you’re delayed overnight - and journeys between the airport and the hotel

The airline should give you vouchers to get these things at the airport. Ask someone who works for the airline if you’re not offered any help.

If they don’t give you help at the airport, keep receipts for expenses and try to claim from the airline later. Airlines only pay for ‘reasonable’ expenses - you won’t get money back for alcohol, expensive meals or luxury hotels.
If your flight’s delayed for 3 or more hours

You already have a legal right to food and drink, phone calls and accommodation - you get this when the flight is delayed for 2 hours or more.

You’re also entitled to get compensation if the delay is the airline’s responsibility - for example, if they didn’t get enough bookings or there was a technical fault.

You won’t get compensation if it was delayed because of something like bad weather or a strike.

You’re entitled to a set amount of compensation depending on:
the distance of the flight - check the flight distance on the WebFlyer website
the length of the delay - how late you are getting to your destination
whether you're flying to an EU or non-EU destination

 Student bank accounts
Student accounts are simply bank accounts made for those in higher education. They let you pay money in and out, and offer additional benefits such as an interest-free overdraft.

To be accepted you'll need a UCAS confirmation letter with an unconditional offer or, if your offer's conditional, A-Level results that meet that condition, or a letter from the university you'll be attending confirming your place. As soon as you've got these, you can open an account, allowing you extra time to make full use of its benefits before the start of term.
The benefits of part-time work for a student

Money Need we say more? The extra cash from part-time work lets you cover the cost of living more comfortably, sometimes even leaving a little aside for fun.A part-time job whilst at university can have a positive impact on your life:

Budgeting Students who earn their own money tend to spend it wisely. Part-time jobs are often tough, and hard-earned money can be painful to part with. In short, students are more likely to save their money for necessities such as text books and rent.

details on these items plus much more can be found at the web site

No comments:

Post a Comment