Four Issues in Tonight’s DriveTime
· Hospital Plans – An Update
· NHS Priorities 2017
· Understanding Dementia
· Ill over Easter
1. Hospital Plans – should we have a new hospital covering this area (St Albans, Watford, Hemel Hempstead)?
Current Plan: Re-furbish/Rebuild Watford General Hospital for acute and planned care at St Albans. This has been proposed by the local Commissioning Group and the Hospital itself. Whilst it is a tactical fix rather than a strategic solution (the strategic review has been going for over 3 years now), it has one big advantage over a new build – it’s deliverable!
New Hospital: people in Hemel Hempstead have been very active in promoting a new build centrally located hospital. There is a petition that has already had over 10,000 signatures; so if you’d like to see a new hospital, sign before APR 20th (just 10 days left).
2. NHS Priorities 2017 – Better Care but longer Wait!
Simon Stevens (NHS CEO) laid out the priorities for the next three years of his “Five Year Forward View):-
· Relieving Pressure on A&E – GPs in A&E; better screening; more Urgent Care Centres
· GPs open evenings and weekends – extra GPs, Clinical Pharmacists, and Mental Health specialists
· Earlier diagnosis of cancer – within 28 days
· Improvements to Mental Healthcare
· Improvements to the 111 Service
· Move to accountable care organisations.
But, an impact on waiting lists for elective surgery; the target is 92% of patients within 18 weeks is being missed regularly.
3. Understanding Dementia
Many people with dementia may not remember what happened 45 minutes ago, but they can clearly recall their lives 45 years earlier. If you would like a better understanding of dementia and to know how you can best help someone with dementia here’s a date for your diary – 19th May at St Albans City Hospital. One hour session at 12:45, 2:00, or 3:20. It’s being held in the Lecture Hall – Post Graduate Centre. For further details and to book contact pavithra.ketheeswaran@whht,nhs.uk. There are additional dates at HH Hospital (APR 17) and Watford Hospital (May 15).
4. Unwell Over Easter
A few simple steps
· Make sure you have your prescription medicines up to date
· Remember, Pharmacies are open even if your surgery isn’t
· Use 111 – and only use 999 if it’s really urgent!
· Stay Well