Four Issues in Tonight’s DriveTime
1. Referrals to our Hospitals
No referrals for non urgent patients to West Herts Hospital Trust (Watford, SACH, HH). Relates esp to
· Cardiology (Heart)
· Urology (kidneys, bladder, prostate etc)
· Ear, Nose & Throat
· Pain Management
· General Surgery
Trying to minimise waiting times. NB Watford & SACH in special measures – review last week.
What do DriveTime Listeners think about this; How will it affect you?
2. Future for our Hospitals
There were 4 options – loosely based on either a centralised model or a de-centralised model. New Build is coming out as the favourite, and it could possibly be near the M25 in Kings Langley.
Probably no decisions until early 2017; SAPG Meeting on SEP 28 at SADC Office Katie Fisher – Chief Exec (WHHT) My Vision for Watford & St Albans Hospitals
Larger Hubs at main centres (Watford, St Albans, Hemel) and smaller hubs at other centres (Harpenden, Berkhamsted, etc). Concept is to bring care closer to the community. Access to Diagnostics.
4. Care in the Community
Although St Albans Hub is delayed (as it depends on the hospital re-configuration), there is plenty of scope for greater care in the community; these services have already been devolved:-
- · ENT Service - Elms medical practice in Harpenden
- · Gynaecology - Colney medical centre, The Elms in Harpenden
- · MSK (muscles and bones) - St Albans Hospital
- · Pain clinic- St Albans Hospital
- · Diabetes - Principal Health Centre, St Albans
- · Ophthalmology - Parkbury House
- · Cardiology- Hertfordshire Clinic
- · Vasectomy - Hertfordshire clinic
- · Respiratory service- In patient's own homes
- · Rapid response - In patients's own home
- Ultrasound service - Hertfordshiure Clinic, The Elms, Colney Medical Centre.