Joining us in the studio today was Penny Carr, our very own Thrifty Correspondent, who gave us some quick tips to save money in the new year.
Her tips today were as follows:
- Don't compare utility bills with friends and family: your usages will all be different and will depend on a number of factors.
- Pay by direct debit and you could potentially receive a discount. Opt in for paperless billing and purchase both gas and electricity from the same company.
- Don't settle for the first package you find, a phone call to the utility company could perhaps net you a better deal.
- Do not shop hungry: you'll end up spending more.
- Make a meal plan for the week and take a list of precisely the items you need, do not deviate!
- Become a 'super-market flirt': each supermarket is cheaper for different things.
- Own-brand lines are still great quality - e.g cereal/produce.
- Always use vouchers and sign up to loyalty schemes.
For similar tips, take a look at Penny's site: www.beingmrsc.com