My motto has always been ‘never trust a skinny cook!' I do like to share recipes that I know work for me. They are not necessarily of my invention – but I will always give you the origin and maybe the story behind them! These recipes are relatively easy to make – hence the title, Faff-Free Cooking.
So, today’s treat is ….... Cornish Fairings
50g caster sugar
125g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
4 tbsp golden syrup
1 good tsp ground ginger
1 good tsp mixed spice
- Preheat oven to 200C/Gas 6. Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and mixed spice into a large bowl and stir in the caster sugar.
- With your fingers rub in butter or margarine until the mixture is like breadcrumbs.
- Add the golden syrup and bring the mixture together to form soft dough.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces and with floured hands, roll each of the pieces into a ball and place them on a baking sheet covered with baking parchment or greaseproof paper.
- Bake at 200C/Gas 6 for 8 mins until nutty brown and cracked on the surface.
- Leave them on the baking tray to firm up for a few mins and then transfer to a wire rack to cool.