Monday, 11 March 2013

Citizen Advice Bureau with Elizabeth Crampton

Elizabeth Crampton joined us from The Citizens Advice Bureau to give us more consumer advice.

Elizabeth previously spoke about avoiding buying gift cards this is still relevant advice as more and more stores are going bust. The clothes store Republic has gone into administration. If you have a Republic gift card you can use it in stores while they are still trading. The administrators are within their rights to decide not to accept gift cards, so spending now will avoid them becoming worthless.

If you can’t use the gift cards at a later date, you can write to the administrators to ask for your money back, with proof that you have a gift card. There’s no guarantee you’ll get the full value back and it may take some time for them to get back to you.

Elizabeth also told us about the Employment and Support Allowance, (ESA) which is a benefit paid by the DWP to people who can't work because of sickness or disability. To get ESA, you usually have to prove you can't work by undertaking some tests, known as the work capability assessment. If you don't agree with a decision on your capability for work, you can:
  • try to get more information about why your case was turned down. There may be a good reason for refusing your claim 
  • ask for the decision to be looked at again. This may lead to the decision being changed 
  • appeal against the decision, either straight away or after the decision has been looked at again. 
If you want to appeal or ask for the decision to be looked at again, you must act quickly. You will need to do this within one month of the decision on your capability for work being taken.

And finally, Elizabeth gave advice about savings accounts, if you have a large sum of money in one account the best thing to do is to spread it over different accounts to gain full compensation that's if the bank goes bust.
For more advice on any of these subjects or consumer advice follow the link onto:

No comments:

Post a Comment