So todays treat is …. New Year Carrot Cake – a reasonably healthy treat!
Ingredients - cake
250g self raising wholemeal flour
250ml veg or sunflower oil
250g golden caster sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
Zest of ½ orange
250g carrots – grated (about 3-4 large carrots)
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
Ingredients - Cream cheese icing
300g reduced fat cream cheese
100g icing sugar
1 tbsp orange juice and ½ zest of an orange
50 grams pistachio nuts – chopped.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4 and line a 30cm x 20cm shallow baking tin with baking parchment on the bottom and sides so it comes up 5cm above the tin as the cake will rise.
- Place the oil, sugar, orange zest and a pinch of salt in an electric mixer bowl and mix on a medium speed until well beaten. Reduce the speed of the mixer and gradually add the eggs.
- Sift over the flour and cinnamon and gently fold in with a large metal spoon until smooth. Fold in the grated carrot and sultanas. Spoon the batter into the tin and smooth the surface
- Bake for 35-40 mins, or until golden and firm to the touch. Cool in the tin for about 10 mins, then, with the help of the overhanging baking paper, turn the cake out onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make the icing - use a handheld electric beater to mix together all the ingredients except the nuts until smooth and light. Spread over the top of the cake and sprinkle with the nuts. Put in the fridge to let the icing set a bit. Cut into 12 squares