Tuesday Recipe Spot – Faff-Free Cooking with Jackie
My motto has always been 'Never trust a skinny cook!' I do like to share recipes that I know work for me. They are not necessarily of my invention – but I will always give you the origin and maybe the story behind them! These recipes are relatively easy to make – hence the title, Faff-Free Cookery. I have given quantities in ounces as well for those of you who still like to know stuff 'in old money!'
So, today’s treat is Banana, Walnut and Maple Teabread.
A lovely treat for any time you fancy a little something with a cup of tea.......
Ingredients:3 good sized bananas – can be a bit ripe50g/2oz margarine or butter150g/5oz caster sugar2 large eggs225g/8oz self raising flour50g/2oz chopped walnuts2 tablespoons of maple syrupPinch of salt
- Mash the bananas but do leave some nice sized lumps of 'nana - add the maple syrup and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the margarine (or butter) and caster sugar with a wooden spoon until light and fluffy. You could also use an electric hand beater for this task.
- Then beat in the eggs one by one. There again, you could use an electric hand beater for this. The mixture will be quite liquid.
- Add the flour and the salt. Then you can add the walnuts, mashed banana and maple syrup.
- Mix well and then put the mixture in a greased 2lb loaf tin and level the top.
- Bake in the middle of your oven at Gas 5, 375 F or 190 C for an hour, until the loaf is golden brown and springy to the touch.
- Turn the loaf out on to a wire rack to cool.
Slice, butter thinly and enjoy! Yum!